Thursday, July 2, 2015

Geography, Nature, Brutality, Family

These days I've been thinking about the civilisational forces that lead to the creation of cities. Something about the power human beings exercise over nature and space is mirrored in the brutality within families. The beauty, the community, the order, that's for another conversation.

UNTITLED*

The light is dim

The cars speed silently outside on the tar roads

The light is dim
The cat moves silently through your house of ice

The cat is white
The light too dim to make it out against the white washed walls

The light too dim
To watch the street, to see the phantom cars

To know that I
Watch you in the dark, I watch you, father

As you eat your
Dinner, eight years you have eaten without me.


*From my chapbook, Towers of Silence, published in 2004 by Aark Arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment